Thursday, January 3, 2013

The beet goes on*

Deconstructed borscht (shredded beets,
canned tomatoes, bacon, and cabbage not shown)

Yesterday, we had our first borscht of the season, a bit later than usual, and I was struck again by how perfectly suited it is to this time of year. I know that I've written about it before, but I feel as though I rediscover its perfection every year. Aside from the obvious benefit of warming one up during cold weather, we also tend to have all of the ingredients on hand for most of the winter. Admittedly, this happens a bit by design (have I mentioned that I love borscht?), but it is also because they are all storable/able to grow during this time of year. While I tend to stick pretty closely to the recipe I posted earlier, it would be so easily adaptable to other wintry items you might have on hand. No potatoes? How about a few turnips? Or parsnips? Or rutabagas? No cabbage? How about shredded Brussels Sprouts? Or kale? There's something just so beautiful to me about a recipe that utilizes a number of fresh ingredients during a season that we tend to think of as not offering a lot. It doesn't hurt that it's pretty delicious too.

Silas is also a fan (and yes, eating borscht
is a shirtless activity)

* I am fully aware that that's the worst, punniest title ever, but sometimes I just can't help myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment