Friday, January 25, 2013

Brown paper packages tied up with strings

HAPPY WEEKEND!

I've really  been enjoying havinge flowers blooming inside this winter

Something delicious:I've made this several times now and it's been consistently great. I really like it with cranberries (as he suggests, I just dump in a bag of frozen  berries), but am planning to try it with some of our frozen cherries and/or blueberries this winter too.

Something neat: One of our dearest friends and her gentleman are trying their hands at homesteading (or something thereabouts) - it's been super exciting reading about their exploits thus far and we're eagerly anticipating the next installment.

Something to read: I expect that even those without children, having once been children themselves, will appreciate this. The bath water reference has been especially making me giggle lately. Even better is listening to Isaiah Sheffer's reading of it on Selected Shorts, if you can find it.

Something to make: I started one of these for Silas yesterday. He's become very interested in cats, both his own and those in books, and now meows (sounding uncannily like Tiger) whenever he sees one, so I figured he should have one of his own. His will be a bit more subdued, orange striped flannel with brown felt stripes.


Tiger and Jane get a little time in the spotlight

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I have to give a strong second to the Ian Frazier piece. When I first saw it in The New Yorker it made me laugh uncontrollably. That's very unusual for New Yorker humor, which is meant to be read on the subway while maintaining dignity (a subtle amused "heh" is allowed).

    And now behold, even as I have said, it has come to pass.

    For reminding me of that, I'll hit you back with something delicious and something to read.

    Delicious:
    This recipe for naan (good in cast-iron skillet, perhaps better popped onto a pizza stone in 500 degree oven for a couple of minutes per side) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/naan-indian-oven-baked-flat-bread-recipe/index.html
    It goes great with this recipe for dal, which I made with red lentils and green lentils successfully, not having yellow lentils around http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1014368/Khatti-Dal-Sour-LentilsHyderabad-Style.html

    Something to read:
    I've been reading a lot lately (The Blind Assassin and The Corrections are two recent favorites), but for a short, very interesting science and policy related piece, check this out http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reid, I've been looking for a good naan recipe for a long time, thanks so much! The lentils look delicious too - Tres and I are big fans of Julie Sahni's Classic Indian Cooking, if you're looking for a good source for more Indian recipes/techniques.

    Matt, I'm inclined to agree with you. I made a few changes, but I also figure it's never too early to start scarring Silas for life. Next up, clown dolls!

    ReplyDelete