Tuesday, January 8, 2013

It's cheese, it's cheese, it's cheese that makes the mice go 'round


The recipe made about 3 times this many and
this is how many are left 15 hrs later - be forewarned

As often happens in the new year, when hope and energy are both high, I've been getting to some things that have been on my list for quite awhile. Last night, it was making cheese crackers. While that might not seem particularly earth shattering, it actually kind of was (at least for me). We've  been in need of some easy to grab snacking material around here for awhile, but I've been simultaneously planning to and avoiding making my own crackers because I was sure they were going to be too labor intensive (what with the rolling and the cutting, etc.). Turns out, not at all. All you do is throw the ingredients in the food processor (grating the cheese is the most time consuming part of this and it takes all of a couple of minutes), blend them into a dough, refrigerate them while you put your child to bed, and then roll, cut, and bake them (which is really no big whoop). I used the recipe from here (an already much beloved Christmas gift - I'm sure this won't be the last time I mention it), but I couldn't find it online and don't want to violate anyone's copyright. This is quite similar, although with some fancier additions (mustard and paprika, I assume to more closely approximate a Cheez-It). Either one is certainly open to interpretation. I was thinking I might try some black pepper next time.

*Updated to add: these start to get stale after about 2 days, even in an airtight container, so go with your instincts and scarf them by the handful.*

1 comment:

  1. Oh cheese crackers, my personal Kryptonite! I succumbed to a small bag of Cheezits at the laundromat yesterday, and even caught Bob the Mostly Gluten-Free sneaking one while I was on the phone. I can't wait to try Mackie's recipe; I suspect that swapping out rice flour for the wheat flour will work out just fine.

    There's a cracker recipe in our Rodale cookbook that has a surprisingly unctuous, Cheezit-y flavor; its main ingredient is, of all things, a flour made from soaked, dried black-eyed peas. Those crazy Rodales! What'll they think of next??

    ReplyDelete