Friday, April 19, 2013

You know what I like

HAPPY WEEKEND!

That hen is totally drinking my tea

Something delicious: We're currently in that frustrating time of year when we're ready to be done with winter/preserved fare and we're still a few weeks away from any greens in the garden, which makes for a pretty uninspired dinner maker. This onion tart (with this crust (divide it in half if you're only making one pie) helps tide a person over to real pie season and, as you can see in the variation she posted, lends itself to lots of season-specific tinkering. We're eating it with just onions and cheese right now, with a beet vinaigrette salad on the side, but it's really nice with a bitter salad (arugula, anyone?) to balance out the rich saltiness or with some seasonal additions, once the veggies are coming up.

Something neat: These photos are a pretty amazing time capsule and the story is something too - the negatives were discovered when the locker in which they were stored was auctioned off to pay the photographer's debts;  no one close to her even knew they existed.

Something to read: A few weekends ago, my dad told me a story about measuring the amount of grain in a silo by riding up to the very top on a manlift (like this, if I understand correctly) and dropping his tape measure down to where the grain was, then calculating the amount of empty space, in order to help the company with its finances. To me, that seems more than a bit outside the purview of your typical accountant, but it becomes considerably more impressive when you consider the fact that heights are difficult for my father, particularly the idea that he could "fall down and break his neck." So, I was pretty amazed that he'd done it on more than one occasion and also amazed that I'd never heard the story before. That's an incredible thing about friends and family, though, no matter how well you know someone, there's always something that you've never heard about them before. On the other side of that coin, are the stories that become family lore and are repeated over and over again. I love both and was pretty fascinated by this story and the study it cites, that positively correlates children's emotional health and happiness with how well they know their family stories.

Something to make: As we've had some (teasing) warmer days here, I've been realizing how handy it would be to have a long skirt or two to wear most days. I know, I'm becoming more like a pioneer lady every day (can a sunbonnet be far behind?); I think mine would be knit instead of calico though, guys. This looks like a particularly helpful tutorial, although there are quite a number when you google "foldover maxi skirt tutorial."


1 comment:

  1. Lysander experimentally dipped his paw into my wine mug yesterday. (I'm too clumsy for wine in a glass.) But instead of tasting it, he just tracked wine all over. Animals are jerks.

    Ooh, caramelized onions; they are currently enjoying a renaissance in our cooking as well. On the subject of savory pies, we debuted my new favorite GF pie crust in quiche form last week, to rave reviews at a potluck. The difference: replace half the flour with coarsely-ground oatmeal. Thank you to the Country Fair and Alpha-Bit Cafe for making me aware of the oatmeal-shaped hole in my pastry crust recipes. I can't quite put my finger on what makes it so good. Must perform some lard-substituting function :)

    ReplyDelete