Friday, February 8, 2013

Crisp apple strudels

HAPPY WEEKEND!


Our seed inspector gives things a sniff

Something delicious: A big fan of potato pancakes, I have struggled a bit in recent years to find a recipe that works consistently and is up to snuff in the taste department. Search no longer, this book comes to the rescue yet again! I am especially enamored of the technique she suggests, filling a small cast iron pan (I think ours is 6") to make giant pancakes. I doubled this recipe, doubling the potatoes, onions, and flour and keeping the rest of the ingredients the same, and we were very happy with the results. Our current favorite topping: sour cream and paprika.

Something neat: This guy is planting clones of ancient redwoods on the Oregon coast, which is pretty neat in and of itself, but it also happens to be in Port Orford, one of my sister's and my favorite towns on the coast. If you happen to stop by, pop into The Crazy Norwegian's Fish and Chips for a malt (the fish and chips are excellent too) and then over to Humbug Mountain for a hike.

Something to read: I'm not going to lie, I cried on at least two separate occasions while reading this, but it's a goodie. Perhaps a bit heavy handed with its message for adults, but I think it's spot-on for  older kids. Books like this and Charlotte's Web are such a powerful way to teach kids about being respectful and caring toward animals.

Something to make: I've had new hot pads on the brain lately (wild and crazy lady, I know!) and these both look like good potential candidates for me.


Man, it's hard to get a non-blurry shot of this kid these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment