Thursday, February 7, 2013

Bubble, bubble, pasta pot

This is a photo from last summer because fresh tomatoes
are just so much more appealing to look at than canned

I thought that I must have posted this already, but that doesn't seem to be the case, so here goes. This is a delicious, (relatively) quick dinner item that we don't make often enough. I especially like to make it when we're cooking for other people and are unsure of their tastes, as it's a pretty universal people pleaser. I also realize that, despite the fact that probably 75% of what we eat is vegetarian, this is another recipe with meat. I think some smoked mozzarella, chopped up and tossed in near the end, would be a nice substitute.

Creamy (bacon) tomato sauce (adapted from Eugenia Bone's Well-Preserved)
four slices of bacon (I like to cut this up ahead of time, but it's up to you)
one medium onion,chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 medium carrots (about 1 cup), chopped
1 quart canned tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
1/2 cup cream or half and half
salt and pepper to taste
pasta of your choice

In a large pot, cook the bacon  until crispy, set aside. Cook onion, garlic, and carrots in bacon fat until soft (about 10 minutes). Add tomatoes and crumbled/chopped bacon, simmer for 15 minutes. Puree sauce in food mill, food processor, or with immersion blender (I know I've said it before, but if you are using a regular blender, you need to let it cool first - trust me on this one). Pour sauce back into pot, add spices, and cook gently for another 15 minutes. Stir in cream/half and half and serve (don't worry if it looks curdled, it will bind to the starch from the pasta and smooth out). I like to have some grated Parmesan on top myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment