Saturday, June 29, 2013

If he stays away, old rocking chair is gonna get me

After a couple weeks of (uncharacteristicly) cool, rainy weather, we're having thunderstorms and highs around 100 today, continuing through the rest of the week's forecast. I suspect that we'll be spending a lot of time in the wading pool and eating popsicles. Let's see, what's been going since I last wrote? I made my first attempt at soap, using the recipe/technique I posted earlier and it seems to have gone quite well. I'll write more about it after the soap has cured and we get to try it out. No more jam yet (although it will be time for blueberries soon!), but lots of great stuff from the garden, including beets, carrots, turnips, kohlrabi, napa cabbage, and the last of the peas. Tres and I accidentally broke one of the honeycombs while checking on the hive last weekend and, while we weren't very happy about it in the moment, getting to taste the honey has been a delicious treat. About 3/4 of a comb (which the bees will be able to rebuild and refill) yielded over a pint of honey!

HAPPY WEEKEND!

The nest is empty now, but here are
the two little guys we had in there

Something delicious: We made this for my mom in the San Juans and it was quite tasty. It was surprisingly easy (despite not having the appropriate pan - a springform worked in a pinch, but I suspect that a pie pan would be better), yet it looks quite impressive.

Something neat: When I was 5 or 6, the neighbors made their own slip and slide and we went down over and over (often landing on the sidewalk - the logistics left a bit to be desired). Silas is a little young for this, I suspect (although maybe he'd just like laying/walking around on it), but it looks pretty fun.

Something to read: I finished this last week and it's definitely worth a read. The science behind processed food is depressing, but ultimately not that surprising (spoiler: they want to maximize the amount that you'll eat, so that you'll buy more). Even more interesting to me was the advertising and psychology behind how they get us to buy stuff. I'm sure most of us feel that we're pretty savvy and aware when we're shopping, but I think we'd be surprised by how easily we're manipulated by words like "natural" and "healthy," or where an item is located in the store. He brings every point back to the health implications of a diet based on processed foods, which is certainly the case for the majority of Americans, and it's pretty bleak. Even with books like this, it's hard to imagine people standing a chance against food juggernauts, with the finest scientific and psychological prowess that money can buy. Although he doesn't quite come out and say it, unless the food companies are willing to take some responsibility for the growing health concerns associated with their products, it seems unlikely that things will get much better.

Something to make: I really like her book and am excited to try some of the recipes that she shared here. I'm thinking that the blackberry honey yogurt pops might happen this weekend.

That's a good hat you got there, Opa

2 comments:

  1. You never seem to be short of inspiration for using up all the things your garden produces, but in case you can't figure out how to use honey, Melina and I just recently made Lavender-Honey Ice Cream (recipe from the book The Perfect Scoop) and it definitely ranks among the top ice creams I've ever had. You might be able to find the recipe online, or I can copy it and send it to you if you're interested (it's a bit elaborate to recall right now).

    Other completely unrelated recommendation: if you want to read something that's tons of fun, check out Bone by Jeff Smith. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it, and so far it's a real joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the contrary, Reid, despite my best attempts, I often find myself with more material on my hands than I can manage. I love honey lavender ice cream and, in fact, happen to have some recently harvested culinary lavender as well, so will definitely give it a whirl. I'll give Bone a try too. Hope all's well with you guys!

    ReplyDelete