Friday, March 22, 2013

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes

HAPPY WEEKEND!


Woot, spring is here!

Something delicious: Now that we're getting a steady supply of eggs, I can start using them as a main ingredient again, rather than hoarding them away for occasional use in baking or cooking. One of my favorite spring treats is egg salad. I don't have a recipe per se, but here's the general idea. Mash up some hard boiled eggs (you can slice them if you want it to look prettier, I'd say about two per person). Add a generous squirt of mustard (I think stoneground is especially nice), a little horseradish (or hot sauce, if you prefer), a spoonful of yogurt (or mayo, if that's your bag), something pickled, and spices (salt, pepper, paprika, celery seed, caraway, curry, whatever sounds good). Eat it plain, spread it on some bread, dip some crackers or veggies in it, oh the possibilities!

Something neat: Tres and I have been getting excited about building some kind of sun porch off of the front door, mainly as a place to grow up our tomato and pepper seedlings (somehow the combination of seedlings in the living room and an active, curious toddler doesn't sound very promising), but also as a place to eat, read, etc. when it's sunny but not super warm (I suspect it would quickly become a favorite napping spot for a few felines we know too. . .). I'm imagining a hammock and a couple of comfy chairs. Something like this would be totally doable, this is way bigger and fancier than what we'd need, but is an example of a more permanent structure. There isn't time to put it together this year, but it's fun to think about.


Something to read: Spring always puts me in the mood to read this. It was a favorite in my Pre-K classes and I'm really looking forward to when Silas has a little more patience and interest in longer books, so that he can hear it too (maybe next spring?).

Something to make: I finally gave this a try (a bit early, I know), after having it on the brain for the past few years. I'll write more about it next week, but the short of it is that it was fun to do, but needs a little more experimentation.

He wears his sunglasses at night

No comments:

Post a Comment