Friday, March 25, 2011

I know where treasure is waiting for me

Is there anything more wonderful than pulling out a long hoarded, out-of-season treat when you are at the end of a long winter? I am a notorious hoarder, hanging onto favorite items often until they are past their prime (thinking of the time that the last bag of my favorite tea was mistakenly drunk still chokes me up a bit),  so this is a big deal for me. The satisfaction of making something delicious from something you've preserved, generally in the summer when the weather was lovely and freshly grown food abundant, is (at least for me) one of life's greatest (if also simplest) pleasures. Last week, I busted these babies out.



They are morels (dried and then frozen - a preservation method we have found most excellent, by the way) that we picked two years ago and have slowly meted out to various dishes. I used them to make this sauce: http://www.designspongeonline.com/2011/03/in-the-kitchen-with-susanne-schanz-kropps-bread-dumplings.html and it was DELICIOUS. I wasn't entirely happy with my dumplings, but I would happily eat this ridiculously decadent sauce on just about any savory food item. While we always eat well, it's such a special treat to eat something we've been saving for the right moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment