Saturday, January 28, 2012

Sugar dumpling, you're my baby

From the Recipe Box


In an attempt to blog more regularly (even when there's not a whole lot going on), I'm going to try to post a recipe every week. If you'd like to share a recipe that you like making this time of year, leave it in the comments!

Here's one of my favorite recipes from my Oma, who would have been 92 this week. We traditionally eat them as a side dish with meat and gravy, but they are a good vehicle for any savory goo/paste. We ate them this week as a main dish, with salty, spicy kale on top and it was excellent.

Halbseidene Knรถdel (potato dumplings)
2 German Pfunde* potatoes (starchy potatoes, like Russets, work best)
200 grams potato starch
2/3 cup warm milk
salt to taste

Peel the potatoes and boil  until cooked through. Rice them into a large bowl (I imagine grating them would also be acceptable). Mix in salt and potato starch. Add the hot milk and knead a bit. The dough should be soft and pliable, not sticky. Form dough into balls (about 3 inches in diameter) with wet hands and drop into salted boiling water. Return to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook 15 minutes (the dumplings should have floated up to the top of the pot by the end).

*My Oma gives the conversion as 1 pfund = 453.6 grams

Regrettably, I forgot to take any photos before we ate all of the dumplings, so I will leave you with a different type of dumpling entirely.


I received some feedback this week that it would be alright, if not preferable, for me to post more baby photos on here. You don't have to tell me twice. Happy Saturday!

Thanks for the sweet hat, Erin!

It gets  pretty sunny around here

No comments:

Post a Comment