Sunday, October 10, 2010

It's early to rise and early in the sack. . .

A seed salesman recently asked me whether I was a "country girl."  I answered indirectly, saying that I was learning a lot, etc., but it did bring me again to something I've been considering for a bit now.  In all honesty, I'm quite certain  - having lived rurally for only a few months - that I am not a country girl (as yet).  Will I be?  Do I want to be?  I fully embrace and am really excited about our change in lifestyle and becoming part of our community here, but growing up in Portland and one of its suburbs and living as a transplant in New York and Seattle have certainly been formative parts of my life and identity. . .  On the other hand, I've also been lately struck  by how strong the human impulse to fit in and integrate with a community can be (while I do tend to have a bit of a "don't follow the crowd impulse," I recognize that a sense of belonging is a nice thing).  I don't have any conclusions or great epiphanies, it's just something I've been thinking and wondering about lately.


The photo above is from my job a few weeks ago - I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have enjoyed driving a forklift as much as I did.  It was totally sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment